Monday, October 26, 2009

temptations

This sermon from Oct. 18, 2009 has three points...but I only covered two of them, my time ran out. But hey, God is teaching me that it is better to get across one or two points that people can (hopefully recall) then to simply try to get three points in because I had three points when I went to the pulpit. The older I get the more I realize that sometimes less really is more, God can do so much more when I am so much less. So if you want the third point, give me a call and I will come to your house and share it with you...or maybe on the phone...or maybe in an upcoming sermon, as God wills.

The text, Matt. 4:1-11 deals with the very unique situation of Jesus being tempted by Satan. Wow...there is so much in this text that I could never finish it in one sermon, as I found out.

Take a few minutes and listen to this message"
And then examine how you deal with temptation. Our Lord provides an awesome model for us to follow as we combat the temptations that comes to us everyday. As a Christian we need to always remember the scripture makes it clear in I Corinthians 10:13 13 "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

In 1978 I was a senior in High school and the single most impacting musician in my life at the time was Keith Green. If you don't know anything about Keith, google him and you will learn a lot. His songs were passionate, Christ centered and mission focused. Keith was unlike the majority of Christian musicians of his day or any day. He died a sudden death in a plane crash, but his music and his passion continue to bless generations of Christians.

This video is from 1978, the song is called "Dear John Letter to the Devil" It is a little (OK a lot) different, but I recall as a teenager singing this song in my pickup as it played on my "under dash" cassette player. So, indulge me and let me post this song about defeating the Satan because that is exactly what Christ gives us the power to accomplish. And if you are inclined check out more of Keith Green's music, I hope it speaks to you as it has to me, for more than 30 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barb and I loved listening to Keith Green's music back when.....

We also listened to a lot of other Christian artists (Barry McGuire, Carmen) that we just don't seem to hear on Christian radio stations anymore. Sad.

But, I guess everything has it's time.

Jesus is Lord
Keep praising HIM
Steve Burton

Blog Archive