Monday, October 26, 2009

Growing in Grace

As we read the Gospels we quickly see a pattern in the lives of the disciples. First they are simply followers, then they grow in their passion for and understanding of Christ they become disciples. Not long after this Christ gives them service to perform and they are servants and at the end of His earthly ministry he calls them friends.

The sermon from Oct.4 explores this progression in the lives of the disciples and calls me to examine my own commitment to my Lord. I am growing deeper and stronger in my love and commitment to Him? Or am I easily distracted by sin and Satan to seek my own inferior pleasure rather then the vastly superior pleasure of God.

Before you listen to the sermon, take a listen to this great hymn sung by one of America's greatest hymn singers, George Beverly Shea. It is simply called "I'd rather have Jesus" and it was recorded live in 1957.

When I was a child we had a simple record player and only a handful of records. (I was a preacher's kid - and grateful for that- and my parents were intentional about what we watched and listened to) Each night my dad would put on one of our gospel records as we went to bed and I would fall to sleep listening to Ethel Waters or George Beverly Shea. This song, by Bev Shea was one that I listened to over and and over night after night. The words are powerful and the older I get the more meaningful they have become.

Indeed, as we grow in grace we realize, we would rather have Jesus.

By the way, Bev Shea is now 100 years old and recently he sang in person for the inmates at Angola Prison, the LA state prison.




Luke 22:7 - Growing in Grace. Are you?
"click to listen

No comments:

Blog Archive