Monday, July 27, 2009

eating well


As I child I remember vividly this picture, about 6 inches by 8 inches on a little easel on the end table by the sofa. As I would sit and watch my favorite TV shows, Whizzo, Torey and Old Gus (if you were a kid in the 60's in Kansas City you watched them too).

I would glance over at this picture and wonder why in the world my parents had that picture always on our end table. Who were these ladies and what were they doing picking up grass? When I ask my mom why we kept that picture there she said because someone in the church gave it to us (I was a preacher's kid) and we kept it out in case they dropped by. But she also told me it was Ruth, from the Bible and she was "gleaning the fields". I don't know if the person who gave us the picture ever stopped by, but if they did they would have seen it displayed on our end table. Funny how images get imprinted on our minds.

Years latter as an adult when I saw this print it was like seeing an old friend...it brought a great feeling of comfort. So now every time I read the book of Ruth, I think of this picture. Which brings me (finally) to the sermon from June 28, 2009. You can listen here:




I love the book of Ruth. Recently God has been speaking to me from this amazing little book. The book of Ruth displays the Glory of God at work in the lives of some very ordinary people involved in some very ordinary events. People just like us living lives much like ours, loving, losing, gaining, trusting and always God directing every step, every movement for His Glory.

As you listen to this message and as you read the text, ask God to give you a passion to feed from His fields, to glean every single truth from His land and to value greatly that which we have so wonderfully received from our great "Kinsman Redeemer"

1 comment:

The Navy Christian said...

I'm glad I happened by your blog on a day like this. That's such a great picture, and I can see what your mom meant. I have fond memories of that sort of thing from my grandmother's house in Girard.

Simple reminders, you know?

Blog Archive